Eight (8) Weeks Prior to Move Date
- Review dates
- a. Is your new home on schedule?
- b. Have you given proper notice to landlord?
- c. Confirm dates with moving company or ensure truck reservation is in place.
- d. For house hunting trips, research transportation and lodging options.
- e. Give notice to health or fitness club, if applicable.
- f. Prepare the family:
- Make farewell visits to favorite places.
- Host a going-away-party for the kids and for yourself.
Four (4) Weeks Prior to Move Date
- Contact schools and/or childcare in your new area.
- If needed, arrange for childcare in the new residence on moving day.
- Identify medical services, pharmacy and doctors in your new area.
- Sort out current possessions to determine what to take or discard or sell.
- Conduct a garage or yard sale or donate unwanted items.
- Arrange for any repairs to current home per sales contract or Realtor advice.
- Begin the packing process (packing yourself greatly reduces the cost of moving).
- Consume frozen or canned goods to avoid moving perishables.
- Return borrowed items and collect items you have loaned.
Three (3) Weeks Prior to Move Date
- Contact phone, cable, electric, trash, gas and water to disconnect services on the move date.
- If your situation allows, do the same for the new home to arrange for services to be turned on.
- Cancel lawn and cleaning services.
- If you have a pet, get copies of records and arrange for transportation, if not transporting with you and family.
- Start looking into religious worship choices, as well as organizations that you and your family might enjoy in the new area.
Two (2) Weeks Prior to Move Date
- Notify by mail, or e-mail, change of address to credit cards, magazines, organizations, friends and family.
- Contact bank to arrange transfers of accounts, if needed.
- Organize important documents, including insurance records and car registrations.
- Arrange childcare or pet care for moving day at the current residence.
- Have cars serviced.
One (1) Week Prior to Move Date
- Cancel mail, newspaper and other regular delivery services.
- Contact and start up newspaper, water, utilities and other services at the new residence.
- Transfer medical prescriptions.
- Pack or remove all items not making the move. Label them “Do Not Move.”
- Pack “essentials” needed for move-in. Label them, “Last On, First Off.”
- Arrange for cleaning services after movers have departed.
- Turn off computers and televisions 24 hours before move to allow time for cooling before shipment.
- Make floor plan diagram of new home for movers to use in unloading. Post copies in new house when you arrive.
- Make final tour of home after moving truck is packed. Check closets, built-ins and cabinets for anything left behind.
- Have some cash on hand.
- Give moving van driver a phone number where you can be reached.
- Verify delivery address with moving van driver.
- Turn off heat, a/c, lights and water in house.
- Shut and lock all windows and doors.
- Arrange for door keys to be left with appropriate person.
Upon Arrival at New Home
- Be at new house when household goods arrive.
- Inspect unloading and direct the placement of furniture. Be sure to post floor plan diagrams for reference.
- Allow computers and TV’s 24 hours to adjust to new temperatures before turning on. Refer to owner’s manual.